Shopiate

Jul 24, 2011

Tune Your Android’s Battery Life With BetterBatteryStats

from: xda-developers » ANDROID

Is excessively rapid battery drain giving you a case of the Android blues? If so, XDA forum member chamonix has created the perfect app to help you track down and eliminate causes for excessive drain. Using undocumented API calls to the batteryinfo service, BetterBatteryStats is able to monitor process stats, network usage, and wakelock stats on your Android 2.2- or 2.3-equipped device.

In the words of the developer:

 I wrote BetterBatteryStats because I was missing the great battery history that Spare Parts allowed to call on Froyo:
- Process stats with User and System CPU time
- Network Usage with bytes sent and received
- Wakelock stats (the most important one when it comes to battery drain)

This app is still under development and may contain bugs. If you find one you can keep it, but I'd be happy if you could also report it to me. BetterBatteryStats is calling the "batteryinfo" service of Android to retrieve data already lying there without generating overhead. BetterBatteryStats is focussing and has been tested on Froyo and Gingerbread and the APK is set to run only on those versions only.

What are wakelocks and why should you care about them?
When it comes to Android the most discussed and commented topic that I know is battery drain / battery life. I'm a quite heavy user because I spend a lot of time on the train every day reading my mails, surfing and listening to music but still my phone is off for a long time during the day and while I accept the battery being drained while I use the phone I care about it draining slowly while "doing nothing".
And here's the point: my SGS2 drains about 2-10 mAh where it was up at 20-100 mAh before I started cleaning stuff up.

Even if your battery life is just fine, we can all benefit from a few more percent. Continue on to the original thread to get started with your battery life tuning. Also, be sure to leave any feedback and bug reports in the thread!

Read story on:
http://www.buzzbox.com/preview/tune-your-android-s-battery-life-with-betterbatterystats/?id=47613366

found with BuzzBox News App on my Android phone

No comments:

Post a Comment